We’ve all been there:
“I forgot my password.”
“The printer is broken.”
“My internet isn’t working … can you please help me?”
These are just a few of the issues that your IT helpdesk professionals resolve every day. In my opinion, they’ve earned the right to wear superhero capes to work because they are the all-knowing champions — rescuing documents, solving complex inquiries and empowering organizational productivity day in and day out.
Today’s helpdesk professionals are the unsung heroes of every enterprise. This is especially impressive considering the heavy demand for their expertise. In fact, according to a recent study:
- There is an average of 15 agents for every 1500 employee
- The average time to resolve a ticket is 10 hours
- The ratio of tickets to technicians is 120:1
As the demand for their expertise grows and the average ticket time increases, who helps the helpdesk? After all, even Batman needs Robin.
Creating a Super Powerful Team
For starters, enterprises should consider adding an AI-based intelligent virtual assistant (IVA) or chatbot to the team. By tackling tier 1 and 2 questions, an IVA like IT Helpdesk Assistant, can:
- Provide fast access to the information and tools your employees need - 24/7
- Automate high-volume, mundane interactions
- Execute tasks on behalf of employees
- Provide step-by-step guided resolution
- Retrieve information and related resources
So, can chatbots just replace your IT helpdesk team entirely? In short, no. While chatbots will do a lot of good serving on the helpdesk front line, they won’t be able to do it all. There will always be cases that will truly require a human touch. For instance, a chatbot can't fix any of these funny and real helpdesk tickets:
- Dry off a computer after someone mistakes the CD tray for a cup holder
- Help “download the internet”
- Discover that the printer is jammed because the ream in the paper drawer is still wrapped
- Let a coworker know that he’s using his garage door opener as a mouse
- Fix a very oily computer after someone used WD-40 instead of canned air
See, in some cases, human errors will require human interventions. But it’s when humans and machines work together that the IT helpdesk becomes an unstoppable force - using their power to protect IT pros from redundant questions, boost employee satisfaction and empower self-service for enduring enterprise success.
If you’re interested in learning more, read this ebook, “Should your IT Service Desk have a Chatbot?” to find out 6 key reasons why you’ll want to add IT Helpdesk Assistant to your team.